Sunday, October 30, 2011

My ArcMap Experience

     My personal ArcMap experience wasn't pleasant. Unfortunately, I didn't get far into the tutorial (not even to exercise 2) because I kept on getting stuck on what seemed to be the simplest things. My apologies, my map remains unfinished. Either the ArcMap tutorial wasn't clear enough on the instructions or I simply couldn't wrap my head around the convoluted software program, (I think both). I'm not exactly anywhere near the term "computer wiz" and certain ideas don't click for me the way they do for others.
     Also, the tutorial seemed to be more for a person who was either already computer savvy or for a person who had more time to explore the program. (My schedule conflicted with the free computer labs hours therefore I didn't have as much time to get a real hands on experience with the program). Even tough my experience on the tutorial wasn't particularly fantastic, I did find certain things interesting though. The fact that text can be inserted pretty much anywhere on the page at the click of a symbol was nice. I also liked how there could be a different symbol for various buildings or specific points on the map.
     There is a lot of potential for the programmers and mapmakers in the field of GIS because ArcMap, along with several other software and programs, have various features and options that go into developing a digital map. And since there are about as many definitions of GIS as there are people working on computer maps of any kind, this field has the ability to expand on a much wider basis.
     However, a potential pitfall in the field of GIS is that the programs and software used to make such maps can be complicated and too difficult to understand for a person who has no background on any kind of GIS programs relating to it. A simple way of making a program more easy to understand is to make the instructions as visual as possible. The software can come with a video tutorial (similar google mymaps) that doesn't skip steps. Easy to use and crysal clear visual instructions will definitely make the programs more hospitable for new users.


No comments:

Post a Comment